Friday, February 2, 2007

Door creaks loudly open

BioGuy2008: Whats up
twerkface: i dunno
BioGuy2008: Hows it going?
twerkface: just walked on the moon. you?
BioGuy2008: Cool
BioGuy2008: Working on apps ... booo
BioGuy2008: I'd much rather be playing tennis with Felix or taking bad pictures with my completely gratuitous digital camera, you know? I miss having a life ;)
BioGuy2008: Felix is so lucky he's just doing consulting

[four minutes pass]

BioGuy2008
: Man
BioGuy2008: these apps are rough!!!
twerkface: er, what apps
BioGuy2008: You know, for research
twerkface: ...
BioGuy2008: You did them too right? When you were in my poor little premed shoes? Haha
twerkface: um .. i don't think so
BioGuy2008: huh? How did you send out ur research proposals?
twerkface: what research proposals
BioGuy2008: For working in lab over the summer, getting ready for med school apps
BioGuy2008: You're in med school, you know the drill :)
twerkface: i didn't work in any labs. i just worked at a magazine that summer
BioGuy2008: Hahahah you didnt do any benchwork?? Then what did you do?
BioGuy2008: No offense, but how did you get into med school?
twerkface: i guess i just slipped by
BioGuy2008: Strange

[eight minutes pass]

BioGuy2008: hey............
twerkface: ?
BioGuy2008: How is med school going?
twerkface: shrug. it's school. i'm tired of it
BioGuy2008: Arent you on rotations this year? must be busy?
BioGuy2008: i've read some horror stories on the premed forums
BioGuy2008: Melvin Chuang said it was like God was frowning at him every day, even though he was technically helping people the whole time
twerkface: no, i'm actually taking the year off
BioGuy2008: ahhhhh
BioGuy2008: Making up for the benchwork?
twerkface: no, i'm doing humanities research and taking art classes
BioGuy2008: Woah ..... what does that mean? Are you going to connect it to your medical career?
twerkface: no, i just like it
BioGuy2008: Cool
BioGuy2008: i bet residencies love well rounded people. You are really smart dude :)

[three-and-a-half minutes pass]

BioGuy2008: Hey, So I'm actually driving up there with my mom next week to check out the campus.
BioGuy2008: Who on the committee do you think I should definitely try to talk to?
BioGuy2008: Also, can you recommend any good books on current medical issues for me to peruse? Like, to get to know the field a little better? Not just the basic science side since i just ordered my subscriptions for JAMA and NEMJ, but also how scientific breakthroughs are applied in life, and raise really interesting issues
BioGuy2008: I figured it'd be good to have some working knowledge about that in my pocket..
BioGuy2008: What was your experience like when you interviewed there? I'm not there yet obviously, but this should be a good practice run
BioGuy2008: Did you have a key phrase or sentences that you used to sum up your personal interests, or did you just guide them through your resume?
BioGuy2008: For me, i was thinking about bringing up the benchwork, but since the lab I'm working in right now is ultra hardcore, I thought I'd maybe bring that out a little later in the conversation. Hit em hard
BioGuy2008: Maybe the volunteer work would be a good starter. What sort of volunteer work did you do? And how many hours?
BioGuy2008: And when you told them about your interests, how did you make them want to accept you? Seems like you have to have a really interesting combination of things or a good personal story
BioGuy2008: Like, maybe a SLIGHTLY less than perfect physics score, but then explaining that it's b/c you actually spent too much time learning about quantum dynamics and string theory. You know, all that stuff about turning each negative into a positive
BioGuy2008: Actually, it's pretty interesting that the lab I work in is located in a pretty slummy area of town, with a lot of minorities who can't seem to get to a good place in society..... It's so sad. I could probably talk about that!
BioGuy2008: Did you relate an interesting anecdote about you and a medical experience, or did you focus more on where you were at that point with medicine?
BioGuy2008: Yeah, so I'd really appreciate any insights you might have on how to broaden my perspective on medicine, offer a solid background while maintaining an interesting profile, and maybe even make super early contact with the head of admissions ;)
BioGuy2008: If you could send me an e-mail with your enumerated thoughts, that'd be great. Would you mind also attaching a copy of your med school essay? Thanks so much, I could really use your advice
twerkface: I am away from my computer.
BioGuy2008: I'm starting to think about rec letters too

No comments: